Saturday, May 28, 2011





"Get up! Get up!"

"Time to go!"

Slowly, my feet feel the floor

Unsteady, I grab for the wheelchair

Straightening out my gown

"Watch your feet!"

Whisked down the corridor

Past smiles and waves

To the light at the end

"We have to scrub our hands again?"

Wheel me in, past the twins.

What was that?

Oh another alarm going off!

Almost there

Last one on the right

Hello precious one

Red, green, white... little tiny wires

I can hear your heartbeat

But I can't hold you



Perseverance.

I wrote this poem years ago about my precious one who lived and died one hot day in August 1996. She lived 22 days and this was my daily routine from my room in the maternity section to the neo-natal intensive care at the hospital for the first week after her birth. For those who have went through this experience, you know the sadness felt when you are only able to view your baby through a see-through container and not able to experience the joy of holding, cuddling and making that special bond you expect after giving birth. Even though we were never able to bring this one home, we were blessed with three bundles of joy over the years, one of them after this experience.

Only God knows why certain people go through certain experiences. Is it to prepare us and make us stronger for other bumps in the road of life? Most likely, but perseverance is up to you.

So whatever circumstances that may come your way, whether it be small or large, I hope you persevere.

No comments: